Human Language Technology is a track in the two-year Humanities Research Master in Linguistics at VU Amsterdam by CLTL.
Human Language technology or Natural Language Processing is a rapidly developing research field. In current Humanities research, a firm background in language technology is extremely valuable for modelling Big (!) datasets. The Computational Lexicology and Terminology Lab (CLTL) offers a specialization in the research master Humanities in which students are trained in human language technology and natural language processing. A human language technology expert has knowledge of technology as used in computer applications (e.g. search engines) and of relevant linguistic theories.
The two-year program can be seen here: RMA-program20-21
WHY STUDY AT VU AMSTERDAM?
• The Computational Lexicology and Terminology Lab (CLTL) is one of the world’s leading research institutes in Human Language technology.
• Prof. Dr. Piek Vossen, recipient of the NWO Spinoza Prize, heads the group of international researchers that are working on interdisciplinary projects, including the Spinoza project ‘Understanding Language by Machines’.
• Become part of an international group of researchers at Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam!
You can set up your own research direction as a PhD student or you can embark on a career at a research institute. The industry provides many career opportunities, as there is a growing need for linguists with a technical background. To prepare for your career, we offer the possibility of combining your thesis with an internship in a research institute or at the language industry.
• Applicants must have a Bachelor’s degree in Linguistics, Artificial Intelligence or a comparable Bachelor programme, with an average grade of minimally 7.5.
• Applicants who do not meet the requirement(s) are also encouraged to apply, provided that they have a sound academic background and a demonstrated interest in and knowledge of engineering and/or linguistics.
For more details on the programme, admission and application:
- general information: WWW.MASTERS.VU.NL and WWW.VU.NL/HUMANITIES
- click here for info on ADMISSION AND APPLICATION
- The program can be dowloaded HERE.
- Want to know more? Ask Dr. Hennie van der Vliet
Computational Lexicology and Terminology Lab (CLTL)
Language, Literature and Communication
Faculty of Humanities
de Boelelaan 1105
1081 HV Amsterdam